Vintage 2020 (35th VINTAGE)
IGP St Guilhem-le-Désert – Cité d’Aniane.
– 28% Viognier (origin of the vine: Georges Vernay – Condrieu).
– 23% Petit Manseng (origin of the vine: Charles Hours – Béarn).
– 20% Chardonnay (origin of the vine: Comptes Lafon).
– 12% Chenin Blanc (origin of the vine: Domaine Huet – Vouvray).
– 17% rare grape varieties: Bourboulenc, Petit Courbu, Muscat Ottonel, Muscat Petit grain, Muscat d’Alexandrie, Gros Manseng, Semillon (France), Neheleschol (Israël), Amigne (Suisse), Sercial de Madère (Portugal), Khondorni, Tchilar (Arménie), Albarino (Espagne), Falanghina, Fiano, Grechetto todi (Italie).
A delicate piece of music! A gentle, nurturing climate has given it richness and balance.
The winter was cold but not freezing, without any snow. It was followed by a spring with just the right amount of rain, resulting in a vigorous start to the growth cycle. 2020 was characterized by mild conditions, from pruning to bud break, and then from flowering to the harvest. There were no heatwaves or excessive spikes in temperature over the summer, with an average of 28°C during the day and magical, cool nights (10°-12°C) in the Gassac Valley.
Finally, a perfectly-timed storm on 15 August, a stroke of luck we have not had since 2012, turned the vintage into something genuinely exceptional.
By the 1st October, vinification of our red and white grand vins was complete, and as we tasted them during this process, a “classicism” emerged, reminiscent of the property’s early vintages.
27 august – 2 september 2020 (5 days).
Skin maceration for 5 to 7 days Fermentation in stainless steel tank.
2 – 4 months in stainless steel tank.
25 hl/ ha
ALCOHOL BY VOL.:
The 43rd harvest at Mas de Daumas Gassac began on Monday 24 August 2020!
The harvest lasted about 17 days, ending on Monday 21 September with the picking of the Cabernet Sauvignon. Once again this year, we had the chance to work with a team of 40 pickers, bringin 18 different nationalities to the wild and beautiful Gassac valley.
The result was a symphony! A wonderful convergence of personalities, expertise and cheefulness, fruit of harmonious and delicate vintage. 2020 is a tribute to the remarkable character of our grands vins!
Relatively small yields have become the norm, and the 2020 Mas de Daumas Blanc was no exception. The quantities harvested for the Mas de Daumas Gassac Rouge 2020 were slightly higher than in 2019.
EVOLUTION OF THE VINTAGES & TASTING ADVICE
The two lives of Mas de Daumas Gassac White Wine
Laid down in a cool cellar (14°-16°C, 57-60°F) even the oldest can happily wait with no problem for many years. However, being laid down in warmer temperatures will speed up the wines’ maturity.
To taste within the first three years if you appreciate wonderful fruity flavours.
Drink our white wines as an aperitif or with a meal. They drink beautifully with most dishes.
Quite a different wine from the third or fourth year! Its youthful fruitiness will have disappeared, to be replaced by new flavours reminiscent of "sherry" or old "Sauternes", a touch "oxidative" with great finesse.
Take care: if you are not looking for this type of wine, slightly paradoxical as it ages, drink our white wines within the first couple of years.
- Serve around 10-12°C (51°F). Do not over chill.
- Open the bottle an hour before serving, but always replace the cork. Decanting encourages wines to express their full complexity but, always replace the stopper.