Vintage 2000 (14th VINTAGE)
Vin de Pays de l’Hérault.
– 30% Chardonnay.
– 29% Petit Manseng (origin of the vine: Charles Hours – Béarn).
– 23% Viognier (origin of the vine: Georges Vernay – Condrieu).
– 18% rare grape varieties : Chenin Blanc, Marsanne, Roussanne, Petit Courbu, Muscat Petit grain, Muscat d’Alexandrie, Gros Manseng, Semillon (France).
Totally untypical weather, lovely in June, cold in July, seriously hot in
August. Unheard of cold on the 14, 15 and 16 July down to 5°C at
night). The whole Languedoc descended into total silence, even the
cicadas were killed off.
Harvest: gentle breezes from the north, cool nights at 9°C, bright daytime with temperatures averaging 32°C. Truly a paradise between 1-25 September, reminiscent of 1978.
4 September – 9 September 2000 (6 days).
TYPE OF SOIL:
White Lutetian Limestone.
Skin maceration for 5 to 7 days Fermentation in stainless steel tank.
2 – 4 months in stainless steel tank.
30 hl/ ha
ALCOHOL BY VOL.:
" The unique personality of the great white Daumas Gassac is at the top in 2000. "
EVOLUTION OF THE VINTAGES & TASTING ADVICE
The two lives of Mas de Daumas Gassac White Wine
Laid down in a cool cellar (14°-16°C, 57-60°F) even the oldest can happily wait with no problem for many years. However, being laid down in warmer temperatures will speed up the wines’ maturity.
To taste within the first three years if you appreciate wonderful fruity flavours.
Drink our white wines as an aperitif or with a meal. They drink beautifully with most dishes.
Quite a different wine from the third or fourth year! Its youthful fruitiness will have disappeared, to be replaced by new flavours reminiscent of "sherry" or old "Sauternes", a touch "oxidative" with great finesse.
Take care: if you are not looking for this type of wine, slightly paradoxical as it ages, drink our white wines within the first couple of years.
- Serve around 10-12°C (51°F). Do not over chill.
- Open the bottle an hour before serving, but always replace the cork. Decanting encourages wines to express their full complexity but, always replace the stopper.